Why Should I Apply for Scholarships?
Scholarships can make a big difference when it comes to paying for college. Even small scholarships can add up to much larger amounts, considerably lowering how much money you will need to pay. Many colleges may give out scholarships or grants (“gift aid”) as part of your financial aid package. These are typically associated with academic merit or community service. These forms of gift aid are funds that you will not have to pay back. In addition to the scholarships provided from the college, you are able to bring in as many outside scholarships as you receive. Outside scholarships will go towards what amount of the total cost your family is expected to pay for your education. Scholarships, both from the college itself and outside scholarships, can help to make college significantly more affordable, giving you and your family less to worry about.
How to Avoid Scholarship Scams
You need to be careful when applying for scholarships that you do not apply for scam scholarships. As a general rule of thumb, you should not have to ever pay to apply for a scholarship. Check out some other basic rules about avoiding scholarship scams here.Here are also some good tips on making sure you are finding and applying to legitimate scholarships.
Dollars for College
Dollars for College is an organization that is meant to help students and families be prepared for sending a student off to college. The Dollars for College website has many different resources available for students in all grades of high school, college students, and for parents/caregivers. Below there are links to the toolkits for seniors in both English and Spanish.
Scholarships Available - 2017-2018
Please note: Scholarship deadlines are updated as we receive notification (some deadlines still say 2016).UNSPECIFIED DEADLINES:
- Clarence Schock Foundation Scholarship:
For students who have applied and are accepted at Cheyney University, Kutztown University, Millersville University, Shippensburg University, and West Chester University. If you have been accepted at one of these schools, contact their financial aid office and ask about this scholarship and how to apply. The scholarship is worth $6,600 over four years. Come see Mr. Cody if you have questions about how to apply.OCTOBER DEADLINES
- Horatio Alger ScholarshipApplicant must demonstrate critical financial need and hold a GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Deadline to apply is October 25, 2017. To apply visit scholars.horatioalger.org.- Benjamin Franklin Scholar AwardA first place prize of $6,000, a second place prize of $4,000, and a third place prize of $2,000 will be award to high school Juniors, who submit an essay discussing the modern day relevance of a selected quote by Benjamin Franklin. The deadline to apply is October 28. Visit www.pasociety.com for additional information.NOVEMBER DEADLINES- Pennsylvania Society Scholarship$8,000 a year will be awarded to seniors with a 3.0 minimum GPA and financial need. Scholarship recipients must take a minimum of nine credits in government/politics, civics, and/or US history by the end of their junior year of undergraduate studies. Applications are due November 1, 2017. Visit www.scholarsapply.org/pennsylvaniasociety.- Prudential Spirit of the CommunityState honorees will receive $1,000, while national honorees will receive $5,000. Applicants must exhibit exemplary volunteer service. Application is due November 8, 2016. Visit spirit.prudential.com to apply.- Women's Transportation Seminar (Colleen Brown Transportation YOU High School Scholarship)For female students considering a transportation related career (planners, engineers, economists, scientists, computer/IT, geologists, air traffic control, ecologists, etc.). Application deadline is November 18, 2017. Go to www.wtsinternational.org/centralpennsylvania/scholarships to apply.- Jack Kent Cooke College Scholarship ProgramEarn up to $40,000 per year. Applicants must have a 3.5 GPA or higher, 1200 on the SAT (26 ACT), and demonstrate financial need. Apply online at http://www.jkcf.org/scholarship-programs/college-scholarship/.December Deadlines- Rove Pest Control Scholarship$500 scholarship for students with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Application deadline is December 31st. Apply online at http://www.rovepestcontrol.com/rove-pest-control-scholarship/.JANUARY DEADLINES- Gettysburg College STEM Scholars ProgramFor students who plan to attend Gettysburg College and major in biology, biochemistry and molecular biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, or physics. The deadline to apply is January 15, 2018. Please see Mr. Cody for an application.- National Association of the Remodeling IndustryA $1,000 scholarship is offered to a student pursuing postsecondary education in careers such as carpentry, landscaping, HVAC, plumbing, or electrical. Please see Mr. Cody before January 15th if you are interested.- Adams County Home Show Vocational Education ScholarshipFor students who plan to attend a state certified or approved vocational education or other post high school technical school, with a concentration in the fields of carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical and/or heating, or ventilation and air conditioning. The deadline to apply is January 31st. See Mr. Cody for an application.- Builders Association of Adams CountyThe Builders Association of Adams County is offering a scholarship to students interested in carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical and/or heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and other fields related to construction or remodeling. The deadline to apply is January 31.FEBRUARY DEADLINES- Harrisburg Singers' Patricia Reber Memorial ScholarshipAvailable to students planning to attend college to pursue Music Education, Music Performance, Musical Theater, or Musical Therapy with vocal concentration. This $1000 scholarship is available to students attending high school in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry, and York Counties.MARCH DEADLINES- PRLAEF's Scholarship ProgramThe association's Educational Foundation, along with the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation, is pleased to once again offer scholarship opportunities to students seeking to further their education in the hospitality industry. The deadline for students to submit their completed application package is March 1, 2017. For more information about the PRLAEF's scholarship program, including eligibility criteria and application requirements, visit www.prla.org/scholarship<http:
//PRLA.informz.net/z/cjUucD9ta T01OTQ3Mzc4JnA9MSZ1PTEwODQ2MjQ 2MDImbGk9MzgxNjk1ODU/index. html>. Since 2006, PRLAEF has awarded more than $130,000 in scholarship monies.- PAEOP Hermine Solt Student Scholarship $500 Scholarship:
The Pennsylvania Association of Educational Office Professionals is awarding a $500 scholarship to a senior that meets the following criteria. Student must be planning on going into a career in secretarial, office technology, accounting, or business education. Student must also demonstrate academic achievement, leadership abilities, dedication to the community, and have financial need. Student must have a recommendation from a teacher in the Business Education department or from a guidance counselor. Application must be completed on or before March 1, 2018. Go to http://www.paeop.com/page/71 to apply.- Adams County School Counselor’s Association Scholarship:
$500 to an Adams County senior planning on studying psychology, sociology, or other related field. Come see Mr. Cody for an application. Application must be completed and returned to Mr. Cody or Mrs. Horner by March 1, 2018.
- Hanover Elks Lodge Scholarship:
Seven $1,000 scholarships to local students. Must have SAT scores and a formal picture to submit with the application. Deadline is March 15, but applying earlier increases chances to win. Academic achievement, extracurricular activities in school and outside of school, community service, and financial need are the criteria for selection by a committee in Hanover. Come see Mr. Cody for an application.
- United Steelworkers Hugh Carcella Scholarship Program:
Applicant must be a member in good standing, or the son or daughter or legal ward of a member of a United Steelworkers, District 10 (Eastern) local union participating in the Scholarship Program; or the son or daughter or legal ward of a disabled or old age retiree or deceased member of an affiliated local union who has good standing with the United Steelworkers at the time of their retirement or death. Applications must be obtained, upon request, from participating local unions. No applications will be accepted unless properly signed by the President and Recording Secretary of the respective local union. Deadline to apply is March 15, 2018.- PenSPRA Public Relations Scholarship:
The Pennsylvania School Public Relations Association is offering a $1,000 scholarship to promote the field of public relations for high school seniors who are interested in studying public relations or related subjects (journalism, english, public relations, advertising, graphic arts, etc.). Student should demonstrate strong academics with a minimum 3.0 GPA, and must be accepted at a 2 or 4 year institution, vocational-technical school, or other higher education institution. Go to http://www.penspra.org/ScholarshipInfo.aspx to get a copy of the application. Application must be submitted by March 15, 2017.
- Florence deHaven Stick Memorial Scholarship:
The Visiting Nurse Association of Hanover & Spring Grove is offering a scholarship for students beginning a career as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse and who has been accepted in an accredited nursing program. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of financial need, academic performance, and extracurricular activities. Applications can be found online at www.vnahanover.org. Applications are due March 16, 2018.
- Ruritan Club Awards Scholarships:
The Hunterstown Ruritan Club will be granting at least three $600 scholarships to graduating seniors pursuing post-secondary academic or vocational education. Criteria for selection include financial need, good character, student’s academics, and a record of community service. Special attention will be given to participation in community service activities in selecting grant recipients. Come see Mr. Cody to get a copy of the application. Application materials should be submitted by March 20, 2018.
- Charles Kidder Scholarship:
The Hanover Area Management Association is offering a $1,500 scholarship/essay contest. To be eligible, must be a graduating senior planning on attending college in the fall. Student must be employed (full or part time) at a HAMA member company OR the student has a parent, step-parent grandparent, legal guardian, or sibling who is an individual HAMA member or employed at a HAMA member company. Student must also complete a 500-1,000 word essay on the following prompt: “What are your goals and aspirations, such as listing your major and why you chose it. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe a circumstance in your life that you feel has contributed to shaping your life and how you handled it.” Come see Mr. Cody for more information. Application is due March 16, 2018.- Snowmobile Club of Adams CountyThe Snowmobile Club of Adams County is offering a $500 scholarship to any high school senior planning to attend a community college, 2-year college, or 4-year college. See Mr. Cody for the application. Application is due March 22, 2018.
- Pennsylvania Association of Medical Suppliers Scholarship:
$1,000 scholarship to a deserving student who has overcome physical challenges with the help of home medical equipment and supplies. The purpose of this scholarship is to recognize outstanding students who have been successful in their academic pursuits while overcoming physical challenges with the help of home medical equipment such as wheelchairs, respiratory devices, diabetes devices, asthma devices, etc. See Mr. Cody for an application. Application is due by March 23, 2017.
- 2017 Rotary Club Academic Scholarship:
The Rotary Club is offering a $1,000 scholarship to graduating seniors from Upper Adams, Gettysburg, or Fairfield school districts. Student should be planning to continue their education at a four-year institution majoring in a business or professional field. Student should have taken academically oriented classes in high school, and have at least a B average. Applications can be found online on the Rotary Club website at www.gettysburgrotary.org, then returned to the Guidance office. Applications should be submitted to Guidance or the Rotary club by March 29, 2018.
The Rotary Club is offering a $1,000 scholarship to graduating seniors from Upper Adams, Gettysburg, or Fairfield school districts. Student should be planning to continue their education at an eighteen-month or two-year program of higher education majoring in a vocational subject area. Student should have taken at least two vocational courses in high school and have submitted a career plan to Guidance or Mr. Cody. Student should have at least a B average in the vocational classes, and a C or better on all subjects during senior year. Applications can be found online on the Rotary Club website at www.gettysburgrotary.org, then returned to the Guidance office. Applications should be submitted to Guidance or the Rotary club by March 29, 2018.- York Adams 2-Cylinder Club Achievement/Scholarship Award:The York Adams 2-Cylinder Club is offering a scholarship to a graduating senior who has applied to and been accepted by an accredited University, College, Junior College, Community College, or Technical Institute. The application is open to all career choices, though careers affiliated with agriculture, ag business, vocation, technical or trade school may have first consideration. Student should be in good academic standing and academic information will need to be submitted with the application. Completed applications should be mailed to the York Adams 2-Cylinder Club. Applications must be received or postmarked by March 31, 2018.
APRIL DEADLINES- Good Samaritan Mason Lodge No. 336 Scholarship:
Presented to a student planning further education. This scholarship is open to students with any worthy career goal and designed to reward further interest in Liberal Arts. Written teacher recommendation is required. Applications are due on April 1, 2018. See Mr. Cody for an application.
- Conewago Enterprises Charitable Scholarship:
Five - $20,000 scholarships ($5,000 per year) are being awarded to students pursuing a two or four year degree in a construction related field such as accounting, business, architecture, or engineering. Student must demonstrate a commitment to the community and commit to maintaining a 3.0 average in college. Application deadlines is April 2, 2018. See Mr. Cody for an application.
- Hanover Elks Auxiliary Nursing Scholarship:
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Hanover Elks is offering two $1,000 scholarships for graduating seniors who have been accepted into and will be beginning at an accredited nursing program leading to a career as a registered nurse. Criteria for the scholarship also includes: academic records; financial need; character, leadership abilities, extracurricular activities; school and community service; educational and personal goals; presentation during interview; extenuating circumstances or special factors; and letters of reference. Completed applications should be submitted to Carole Baker at 110 Ruth Avenue, Hanover, PA 17331 and she can be reached at 717-632-4315 with questions. See Mr. Cody for an application. Application is due by April 1.
- LeOra L Held $750 Recruitment Grant:
Student must be a female ranked in the top third of her class and be pursuing a degree in the field of education. Student should possess personal characteristics that include a pleasing personality and positive attitude and moral principles. Student should also have interest and/or some personal involvement in school activities. Student must send the application, high school transcript, and a letter of recommendation. All materials must be submitted and postmarked on or before April 15, 2018. See Mr. Cody for an application.- Woman’s Club of Gettysburg:
The Woman’s Club of Gettysburg is offering four scholarships of $1,500 to Adams County graduating seniors who plan to continue their education beyond high school in a business, vocational/technical career field requiring no more than two years of study. Applications are available in the Guidance Office. Application materials are due back to the Guidance Office by April 4th, 2018.Adams County Bar Association Law Day Essay Contest:The Adams County Bar Association offers scholarships ranging from $500 to $2,000 for seniors whose essays are selected. This year's essay theme is entitled "The 14th Amendment and the Bill of Rights." Applications are due by April 3, 2017. For a full application, please see Mr. Cody.- Gettysburg F.O.E. 1562 Scholarship:The Gettysburg FOE is offering a $4,000 scholarship to a graduating student from Biglerville High School. See Mr. Cody for an application. Applications should be submitted to F.O. Eagles 1562 at 61. N. Fifth Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Application materials must be submitted by April 8, 2018.- The 2017 Richard L. Boyd Workers' Memorial Day Essay ContestThis contest is open to High School Seniors, with the opportunity of winning $500. The deadline to submit an essay is April 10, 2017. Please see Mr. Cody for more details.-The Gettysburg Green Gathering ScholarshipA $750 scholarship for an graduating senior, from an Adams County PA School District School, pursuing higher education studies related to environmental studies or a related field with an intent in majoring in an environmental studies or related field. Due April 13. Use the link to apply: https://gettysburggreengathering.formstack.com/forms/scholarship_application_copy.- The Elizabeth Ferciot Roby Art ScholarshipThe scholarship aims to recognize a student or adult pursuing post-secondary education at a school, college or university in the field of art, preferably studio art, but other forms of art such as photography, sculpture, or pottery may be considered. The 2017 scholarship is $500. The application can be found here: http://www.adamscountycf.org/scholarship-application.php. The deadline to apply is April 14, 2017.- Dollars for Scholars Scholarships:
Apply at www.adamscountydfs.org and create your personal student profile by clicking the “Students and Parents” link at the top right of the page. See below for a list of scholarships available through Dollars for Scholars. The application is due by April 14, 2018.
1. To be eligible for the Adams County Dollars for Scholars Scholarship the student must demonstrate high financial need, good academic performance, service to school and community, and motivation toward education and career goals.
2. To be eligible for the Adams Electric Cooperative Scholarship the student must be a senior in high school and have at least one parent or guardian currently receiving service from Adams Electric Cooperative, Inc. with an account(s) in good standing and the parent or guardian must live in PA at the time of the student’s application for a scholarship.
3. The Berne C. Hart Scholarship was established by his sister to honor her brother who was a Biglerville student who lacked the means to attend college immediately but completed his education after service in the US Marine Corps. The scholarship is open to a graduating senior at Biglerville High School who is planning to attend the Pennsylvania State University or one of its branch campuses. The applicant must demonstrate high financial need, good academic performance, service to school and community, high motivation to go to college, and aspire to do will in life. This will be a four year scholarship as long as the student maintains a 3.0 GPA.
4. The Eddie Horst Memorial Scholarship is open to any graduating senior in Adams County who is planning a career in music. Eddie Horst was a graduate of Biglerville High School whose career in music included writing arrangements for Bruce Springsteen among others. The scholarship was established by Eddie’s family and the members of his graduating class.
5. The Emma M. Duttera Scholarship is open to any graduating senior in Adams County, although priority is given to graduates of Littlestown Senior High School. The applicant may be any male or female who is planning on entering the Protestant Ministry.
6. The Kermit Jacoby, Jr. Scholarships were established with a testamentary gift by Evelyn G. Jacoby in memory of her son Kermit L. Jacoby, Jr. a gifted athlete and Big 33 participant who passed away in 2002. These scholarships are open to a graduating male or female who have shown outstanding athletic prowess by earning at least three varsity letters in two sports. The applicant must have a GPA of at least 85% and he/she must have exhibited outstanding character, sportsmanship, and leadership in athletic endeavors.
7. The Luella Musselman Paul Scholarship was established by Tom and Gina Arnold in 2010 to honor his mother, Luella Musselman Paul, for her dedication to the community; to her company, the C. H. Musselman Company; and to her family. This scholarship is open to a graduating senior at Biglerville High School who demonstrates need, high academic performance, and community involvement.
8. The Mary Sue Cline Scholarships are open to graduating male and female students at Biglerville high School. This scholarship was created to honor retired Biglerville High School teacher Mary Sue Cline. The applicant must be a resident of Adams County for a minimum of two (2) years, be a student of the Upper Adams School District for junior and senior years, present evidence of acceptance to a post-secondary school pursuing a business, vocational or technical program requiring no more than two (2) years of study.
9. The Thomas E. Arnold Scholarship is open to a Biglerville High School student pursuing post-secondary education in the field of history. The student will demonstrate financial need, have high academic performance, show community involvement, and demonstrate strong interest in history as indicated by enrollment in advanced history classes, and work above and beyond the instructor’s requirements such as participation in the National History Day Competition.
10. The Julie Ann Lochary Scholarship is open to any graduating girl in Adams County, although priority is given to graduates of Littlestown Senior High School. It was established in 2014 in memory of Julie Ann Lochary, a 10 year old student at Rolling Hills Elementary school who passed away in September 2013 after battling brain cancer. The scholarship is open to any girl who has been active in the 4-H program. The student may be attending any 2-4 year post secondary degree program at a college or technical school.
11. The Walter P. and Anna Griest Memorial Scholarship is open to any graduating senior residing in Adams County, although priority is given to graduates of Bermudian Springs High School. It was created by Jean Brannock from the estate of her father, Walter P. Griest. The scholarship is open to any student who is preparing for a career in an agricultural related field. The applicant must have at least a 3.0 GPA and demonstrate financial need.
- Carlisle Area Healthcare Auxiliary/Partnership for Better Health Scholarship:
Must be a graduating senior planning to enter a program studying R.N., L.P.N Medical Technician, Physical Therapist, Respiratory Therapy, Surgical Technician, or Radiology Technology. The scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of scholarship record, financial need, and personal commitment. Come see Mr. Cody for a copy of the application. Applications are due on April 15, 2017.
- Gettysburg Garden Club Scholarship:
$1,000 college scholarship for any student living in Adams County that plans to major in the field of Horticulture, Floriculture, Landscape, Architecture, Conservation, Ecology, Plant Pathology, Floral Design, and/or related subjects. All applications must be received by April 15, 2018. See Mr. Cody for an application or go to www.gettysburggardenclub.com.
- Biglerville Garden Club:
The Biglerville Garden Club is offering 2 $500 scholarships for students who plan to major in Horticulture, Forestry, Floriculture, Landscape, Architecture, Conservation, Ecology, Plant Pathology, Floral Design, Consumer Science, and/or related subjects. Application due on April 15. See Mr. Cody for the application.
- Promoting Future Educators Scholarship:
The LIU and other contributors are providing five, $1,000 scholarships available for seniors who plan to attend college to become certified to work with special education students in a high school setting. Applicant may be planning to become a school psychologist, speech pathologist, occupational or physical therapist, speech/language pathologist, or many others, so long as they will also be certified in special education (have as a major or minor). Applications, including three recommendation letters, must be submitted to Lorrie Hrycek by Friday, April 27, 2018. Come see Mr. Cody for an application.
- Gettysburg Hospital Auxiliary Scholarship:
The Gettysburg Hospital Auxiliary offers a $2000 scholarship available to any student who wishes to pursue studies in nursing/allied health leading to a degree or certificate. Applicants must be residents of the Gettysburg Hospital service area (This includes students attending high schools in Adams County). Come see Mr. Cody to get a copy of the application. The deadline to apply is April 20, 2018.- The Walter D. Fohl, Jr. Medical Education LoanThe Foundation provides interest free loans to Adams County seniors interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. Repayment is not required until two years following the completion of the student's full-time schooling or the date when the student last received funds under the loan program, whichever occurs last. Loan can be repaid in up to 36 monthly installments. For an application, please see Mr. Cody. The application deadline is April 22, 2017.
- Starview Sportsmen’s Association Annual Scholarship:The Starview Sportsmen’s Association offers five $1,000 scholarships annually to students pursuing post-secondary education in a field that enhances or supports the outdoor activities of hunting, fishing, and trapping. Majors may include, but are not limited to Marine Biology, Forestry Management, Ecology related fields, and Natural Resource Management. Come see Mr. Cody to get a copy of the application. Completed applications should be sent to Dennis Ashton through email or mail. Application Deadline is April 23, 2018.
MAY DEADLINES- Upper Adams Youth Football League Scholarship:
The Upper Adams Youth Football League Scholarship wishes to recognize the skill development, leadership, and support provided to our youth by the Biglerville High School Varsity Football and Cheerleading Programs. Scholarships will be provided to a football player AND a cheerleader. Student must be a graduating senior enrolled in an accredited college/university, vocational/technical school, or business school. Student must have participated in the Upper Adams Youth Football or Cheerleading Program (multiple years viewed favorably). Students must have at least an 83% GPA, be a positive role model for youth, have strong moral and character values, and be involved in the community and extracurricular activities. Students should have at least one recommendation from a teacher or coach. Application materials should be submitted to the BHS Guidance Office no later than May 4, 2018. See Mr. Cody for an application.- Metzger Wickersham Road to Safety Scholarship:Applicant must be a graduating, college bound senior. Seniors may enter the scholarship contest by submitting a creative project (poster, painting, t-shirt, videos, songs, etc.) that highlights the dangers of drunk driving and/or distracted driving. Come see Mr. Cody for a full list of rules and to get a copy of the application. Deadline to submit your project is May 5, 2017.