Friday Reminders for 12/22/2017Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you! I hope you all enjoy your time off for the holidays. There are two flyers attached to help you make it through the celebration(s)! See you in the New Year!
Friday Reminders for 12/15/2017Classified EmployeesFrom the Business OfficeTime slips for the pay date of January 5th (pay period December 17-30) need to be in the Business Office no later than the morning of Friday, December 22. Please turn in your time slip by Thursday, December 21, to your supervisor for their signature. The time slip must be sent to payroll by Friday morning, December 22, through interoffice mail.All EmployeesInternal Job PostingsThe district is now using an online applicant portal for posting and advertising for open positions in the district. The portal is called Applitrak, and can be accessed on the UASD website. All current employees who are interested in an open position with the district, will be required to apply using Applitrak. To apply as an internal candidate for an open position or to be notified of any future position openings of interest to you:
Internal postings will continue to be e-mailed to everyone, and will be announced on the Employee Portal Message page.All non-employees must apply using Applitrak, and should click on the "External Applicants" link.Background Clearance ChangesThe district will no longer be able to provide fingerprint services to employees. The state has contracted with a different company, and the scanner can no longer be shared among districts. Employees will receive a notification from me, at least 3 months prior to the date their clearances are due to be renewed. At that time, the employee will receive the instructions on how to obtain their clearances, as well as an updated listing of fingerprinting sights and site schedules. Please contact me if you would like a copy of the background clearance instructions.403bAn important benefit to employees of public schools is the voluntary tax deferred annuity, under Section 403(b) of the Internal Revenue code. These plans provide for funds later in life, while taking advantage of the tax savings today. Changes have been made to catch-up provisions to allow additional contributions. There are exceptions, and the IRS rules are complex, so consultation with the provider's representative is suggested. Since the funds are for the employee, he/she may work with his/her representative and have them invested as appropriate. The District is not involved with employee investment decisions and is not made aware of employee account's makeup or performance.The District has approved a schedule of providers, but makes no recommendation. Interested employees should call a selected vendor from the attached listing. New providers may be added to our schedule if at least 5 employees enroll with the provider.If you decide to enroll in a 403(b) plan, or change your contribution amount for a current plan, you must contact the business office. The vendor must also contact the business office, in writing, before your deductions will begin/change.For more information please read the attached 2018 Universal Availability Notice and Vendor listing.Holiday District Central Office HoursThe District Central Office will be closed: December 25, 26, 27, 29 and January 1. The District Central Office will be open on December 28 only, from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.Please contact the school offices for their specific schedule during the holidays.There will be no interoffice, or postal mail run from December 25 through January 1.
- On the UASD Home Page click on "Employment Opportunities" on the gold bar
- Click on "Upper Adams Employment" on the left of the page
- Click on the link "Internal Applicants"
- Complete all information requested and create your login information
- Click next
- All current open positions will display and you may apply for any if you choose
- If you are interested in being notified of future position openings, click the "next" button, and choose any positions you are interested in being notified about
- You will receive an e-mail for any future position openings in the district
Friday Reminders for 12/8/2017For All StaffFrom Technology - Important!Google and Computer Accounts of former employees are being cleaned up and deleted. If you are accessing information stored on a former employees Google Drive, please either:
1) Transfer this information to your own Google Drive (either by copying the document or ownership transfer).- or -2) Contact the Tech Department to have the entire Google Drive transferred to your account.If the person you are using already has been deleted, please contact Danielle Cramer by next Friday to have access restored for the above to occur.Homeless Students Awareness and UnderstandingHomelessness and Unaccompanied Youth otherwise known as, the McKinney-Vento Act, outlines how state educational agencies must ensure that each child of an individual experiencing homelessness, and each youth experiencing homelessness, have equal access to the same free, and appropriate public education, as other children and youth. This includes a public preschool education, as provided to other children and youth.The Act requires school districts to assign a Homeless Liaison, who is responsible for providing employees with information to make them aware of what to do if they become aware of, or think they know of, a student in a homeless situation, or who is not accompanied by an adult in the home. The liaison is also a person who can be contacted to report this information. The Homeless Liaison for Upper Adams School District is Cindy Steinberger. You can contact Cindy at 717-677-7191, extension 2711, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.All employees are encouraged to view a training about homeless students, in the SafeSchools training portal. The training is only 26 minutes, and can be accessed in SafeSchools by clicking on the "Extra Training" tab at the top of the homepage, then scroll down to the "Social and Behavioral" section, and click on "Homeless Students Awareness and Understanding".If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Steinberger.PSERS Foundations for Your Future Upcoming SeminarsPresentations provide active members with information about PSERS (Pennsylvania School Employees' Retirement System) benefits and services. A PSERS Retirement Counselor will cover topics such as benefit options, withdrawal of contributions, rollovers, taxes, and legislative actions affecting PSERS. PSERS recommends that all active members attend an FFYF program presentation periodically, particularly if planning to retire within the year. Upcoming seminars are listed below:January 10, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.Chambersburg Area Middle School auditorium, 1151East McKinley Street, ChambersburgAdvance registration is not required to attend any of these large-group meetings. Please contact the Southcentral Regional Office as soon as possible, at 717.720.6335 if you require an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to participate.
Friday Reminders for 12/1/2017
As we begin to prepare for the possibility of bad weather in the near future here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Phone number - If you have had a recent phone number change, be sure to e-mail the new phone number to me. I will change your phone number in the system so that you can receive the closing, and delay phone calls from the district.
- The weather looks bad and I haven't received an automated call from the district? - If the weather is bad, and you have not received a call from the district, turn on the radio or television. The district still posts closings and delays on all local tv and radio stations (some stations only post on their website). All closings and delays are also posted on the district website.
- Most Importantly Be safe! - On your drive to school as well as your walk across the parking lot and district sidewalks.
- Take your time driving to school if there are icy or snow covered roads. Remember the old saying: Better late than never?
- Not all sidewalks and parking may be completely cleared when you arrive. Be aware that there may be ice under that snow in the parking lot. Wear appropriate shoes for the weather and walking on the snow and ice. Have you ever been stranded in snow without a pair of boots and a warm coat?
From the Business Office
Time slips for the pay date of January 5th (pay period December 17-30) need to be in the Business Office no later than the morning of December 22.
Name, Address, Phone Number Changes
Please contact me if you have a name, address, or phone number change. There are forms that must be completed before a change can be made in the payroll system.
From Highmark Blue Shield
Blue 365 Fitness Your Way
Highmark has informed us that Tivity Health the provider of our Blue365 Fitness Your Way member discount will be increasing their enrollment and monthly fees from $25 to $29 dollars starting January 1, 2018.
New Member Promotion for Fitness Your Way
With the upcoming price increase to $29 on 1/1/18, Tivity is running a promotion throughout the month of December as a last chance to save and get in on the lower rate. Anyone who enrolls on or before 12/31/17 will be grandfathered into the $25 rate for the duration of their membership.
Who qualifies and how do I enroll?
You must be enrolled in Highmark, or another qualifying health insurance plan to enroll.
See the attached flyer FYW Dec 2017 for instructions on how to enroll.
Additional Helpful Information:
- The promo code to waive the $25 enrollment fee is FYW25
- This is an all plan promotion — for all Blue365 eligible members 18+ years of age
- This is the first Fitness Your Way price change in five years
Friday Reminders for 11/17/2017Preventive Schedule 2018 and Diabetes PreventionThe new Preventive Schedule, for employees who have district health insurance, is attached and updates. Highmark has also added a Diabetes Prevention schedule attached. A list of YMCA locations that participate is attached.
Friday Reminders for 11/3/2017For All EmployeesTips for StressAre you stressed? See the attached flyers for some tips from Highmark!Safe Schools TrainingsI am pleased to announce that completions of trainings have been going very well this year.The next deadline is November 31 for suicide trainings for all employees in the Arendtsville and Bendersville Elementary Schools, Biglerville High School, and Upper Adams Middle School.Kudos to all of you for keeping on top of the deadline dates!For Teachers:Start Planning For Your Spring Professional Development!A Master's in Education Cohort in Educational Technology through York College is currently taking and accepting new enrollments for a January start date. The Master's Program focuses on Instructional Technology and leads to an Instructional Technology Specialist (ITS) Certification. The cohort is specific to Adams County and offers reduced tuition rates as well as the elimination of fees. If you are interested in joining the January cohort, please contact Dr. Josh DeSantis at York College of Pennsylvania at email@example.com or (717) 815-1939