School Colors: Red and White
Motto: Arendtsville Builds Character
History of Elementary Education in the Arendtsville Area:
The first school in Arendtsville was a log structure erected in 1781 on the present site of Zion United Church of Christ. This parochial school, a joint undertaking of the Lutheran and Reformed churches, was in operation until 1851.
That year Franklin Township, which included Arendtsville, established a public school system. The children of the community began walking to the Paradise School, located at the end of what is now Chambersburg Street on the corners of Winding Road and Hill Road.
In 1861, a brick, one room school was built in the hollow on Gettysburg Street for the community's children. This school later came to be known as the "bug house" when it housed the Penn State Fruit Research Lab up until 1948. Today it is a private residence.
By the early 1880's, overcrowding at the Gettysburg Street building was creating serious difficulties. Some Arendtsville children were shifted back to Paradise School. The town hall was also turned into a temporary school.
1884, property was purchased on South High Street to erect a modern 2-story, 2 room brick building. This school, known as the GradeBuilding, housed the primary grades on the first floor and the "grammar grades" on the second. By 1887, its two teachers taught 97 pupils over a five month term. This building continued to be used as a school until 1955. It was then used for many years as the medical offices of Dr. Raymond Hale and Dr. W. North Sterrett, and is currently the office/residence of Dr. Frederick Martin.
During the early 1900's, changes in state educational policies and access to easier transportation brought about the closings of many small schools. The closings of Butler Township's one room school in 1911 and later, Brysonia's two room school brought more students to Arendtsville. Following the formation of the Upper Adams School District in 1947, the Arendtsville Vocational School merged with Biglerville High School, vacating its building. To reduce the crowding occurring at the Grade Building by this time, some elementary classes were moved to the former Arendtsville Vocational School from 1948 to 1955.
The 16.5 acre site of the current Arendtsville Elementary School was obtained in 1952 through the purchase of land from 8 property owners and land donations by A.E. Orner and L.W. Garretson. McCoy Brothers of Carlisle constructed the 8 room unit at an approximate cost of $146,950.00. The building opened in the spring of 1955.
By the summer of 1967, the Upper Adams School Board saw the need for additional facilities at Arendtsville Elementary School. Plans were drawn up to add a library, and kindergarten classroom to the building. Construction began, with the addition ready for the opening of the 1969-70 school year.
The building approximately doubled in size during a project that began in September, 1988, at a total cost of $2.3 million. Occupancy of the new building took place on June 2, 1989.
Between 2005 and 2007 the Upper Adams School District went through an elementary school restructuring plan, the result of which was that Arendtsville Elementary School became a building that housed 4th-6th grade students. The 2007-2008 school year was the first year in which this new structure was in place.
Arendtsville Elementary School Administrators
Lewis M. Bosserman 1955-1971
Randy C. Rouzer 1971-1974
William K. Shoemaker 1974-1982
Gayle G. Griffie 1982-1998
Dennis E. Cope 1998-2007
Jamie Kerstetter 2007-2014Ann Wolfe 2014 - 2015Sonia Buckley 2015- present